Places to See
What to See & Do While In Mingenew
The Grain Centre
Mingenew is known as The Grain Centre it’s on our “Welcome to Mingenew” signs approaching town and on our number plates. The Mingenew grain facility (CBH) is recognised as the largest inland grower fed, receival facility in Australia. The giant Wheat Stalk Sculpture in Cecil Newton Park (fondly known as “Big Ears” by locals) depicts the importance of wheat farming in the area.
USN Tracking Station
The ground station is part of the Universal Space Network founded by former astronaut Peter Conrad. It is the intention of the founder that data & pictures be available to the public via the internet within 15 minutes of being downloaded. Children from around the world are to have access to the space programmes under this system.
Picnic areas, walk trails, parks & reserves - maps & information available from Tourist Information Centre (open from July to September each year). For further information contact the Shire Offices on (08)9928 1102.
You can also veiw a short video on Mingenew and its wildflowers at the following address;
Mingenew has a Dump Point located in the truck bay on Midlands Road in front of the Caravan park and west of the Palm Roadhouse.
Cecil Newton Park
Situated in the middle of town, with Boyland’s Bakery on one side & the Youth Skate Park on another, is Cecil Newton Park. The rotunda, barbeque facilities and seating, make this area a delightful spot. The display boards, inside the rotunda, are updated frequently with action shots of happenings around the Mingenew District. Public Toilet facilities are within a short walking distance of the park. You can also view our "Big Ears" sculpture of the giant wheat stalks here.
In 1850 Augustus Gregory & his party camped at the Minya-noo Spring (Mingenew) (ants-many). It then became an important permanent watering place. The local Aborigines of the time, pronounced Mingenew Minino, a place of many waters. In time the town flourished around the spring which provided the water for some of the railway use. By 1900 three blacksmiths & wheelwrights were based around the spring.
Mingenew Hill and Drover's Rest
Is a short walking distance from the centre of town and has abundant displays of everlastings during July, August & September. Drover's Rest (at the base of the hill) is an ideal place for caravanners and the like to pull over and have a picnic (tables and seating available) or wander up the track to the lookout halfway up where you will find panoramic veiws of the Mingenew township and surrounding farmland. The water trough & tank, at Drover's Rest, are reminders of our droving history and link in with our "Droving Scene" mural in the main street. Water was at one time piped from the Mingenew Spring to water the thirsty stock when drovers used Mingenew as a stop over point. From the lookout you can venture further up the hill and explore the bushland and caves located around and on the hill.
A cairn (erected in 1975) dedicated to the early pioneers of the Mingenew district is located on top of the hill & will help to establish locations & distances. The Mingenew Nature Reserve (CALM Land) is located at the south western end of the hill. Please ask for directions from the Tourist Information Centre located next to the Old Post Office building (corner Midlands Road and Victoria Street).
The Mingenew "Common" Wildflower Walk
Situated south west of the Mingenew Recreation Centre & Hockey Oval, is an area vested as a town reserve and has never been cultivated. The walk trail offers many varieties of wildflowers beginning with orchids from mid June, pink & yellow everlastings in July/August and a beautiful array of colourful native flora including bacon & egg, fringed lily, thriptomene can be seen. This is a beautiful walk, so take your camera!
Coalseam Conservation Park
A CALM Reserve located within the Shire is 34km north of Mingenew, via the Coalseam Rd. A popular picnic area for both tourist & locals alike. This well known geological site is where the first coal deposit in WA was discovered by the Gregory Brothers in 1846. Several of the exploratory workings can be found at the "Miners Camp" where overnight camping is permitted. You can explore the river bed through carved gorges and marvel at fossils embedded in the limestone cliffs, stand atop the lookout & witness the magnificence of nature or stroll through the mass of everlastings & discover other brilliantly coloured wildflowers located throughout the park. BBQ & toilet facilities are located within the park. No Dogs or Cats are allowed.
For further information visit the following website https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/coalseam
It is a short 12km drive northwest of Mingenew to the magnificent rugged reserve of Depot Hill. This is a great spot to park up and go for a wander, enjoy a picnic on the tranquil banks of the river beneath the leafy gums or you may like to walk the bush track up to the historic WW2 Army Rifle Range. Please allow a minimum of 30 minutes for this nature walk and take your wildflower booklets to identify the many species you will see along the way, these may include orchids, everlastings, cats paw, thriptomene, dampiera & many more.
Depot Hill is accessible via the Allanooka Springs Rd (sealed & signposted) from Geraldton to Mingenew
Historical Buildings in Town
Used to be the original Mingenew Primary School from 1894-1960. It is located opposite the Shire Offices & Town Hall in Victoria St. Our museum hosts an excellent collection of historical artefacts & machinery that represent the stages of Mingenew’s development since the 1850’s. Willing volunteers will open up the building at any time.
The Midland Railway was opened for through traffic on 24th November 1894. At this time the Mingenew railway station with residence was built of locally quarried stone. A portion of the station & residence was demolished in February 1974. The remaining station building is now used by the Mingenew Art & Craft group.
Mingenew Police Station Residence
This station was built from locally quarried stone between 1893 & 1898. Originally the Police Station until a new police station & courthouse were built & opened in 1964.
Mingenew Shire Council Offices
Originally the Mingenew Agricultural Hall built in 1917. Now incorporated in the upgraded Shire Offices.
Tourist Information Centre
(Old Australia Post Building)
Forms part of the original Post Office building & residence built in 1894 from locally quarried sandstone.
Thought to have been built in the late 1800’s from local stone & bush timber. The shepherd’s room at the rear of the barn supports the theory that sheep shepherded far afield were brought home annually carrying their fleece to be shorn, hence the three sheep outlets. The barn was later used to facilitate the sale of fodder to the passing public (all traffic used horses, for riding or pulling vehicles). Very well presented information boards can be found at the site 3 kms NE on the Morawa Rd.
Mingenew proudly displays 5 murals, all capturing a part of our local scenery & history:
1. The Droving Scene
depicting a mob of long horn cattle being driven down and across the Lockier River in the late 1800’s – early 1900’s. Corner of Victoria St & Midlands Rd & part of the "Painted Rd" project.
2. The Centenary mural
painted on the northern side of the Town Hall. Five panels painted by local school children & members of the community under the guidance of Ernie Turpin who designed the panels & their content with help from the Historical Society & community members. It is located at Victoria St.
3. Hope’s Wheelwrights Shop Mural
Painted on the wall of the Museum’s machinery shed and facing west onto Victoria St is part of the Painted Rd project. Mr Samuel Hope & Sons operated a wheelwright & blacksmiths shop near the Mingenew Spring where the current Shire workshop now stands. Their expertise as wheelwrights was such that teamsters brought plant back to Mingenew for repairs annually. Wagons built at the family business were well known around these parts including pastoral areas & up into the Kimberly. The painting was completed by two local artists with the involvement of the primary school children and local residents who have their name entered in a register.
The "Painted Road” is a John Williamson project and consists of a series of murals along the Midlands Rd. The Murals are created under strict guidelines with the paint being donated by Dulux.
4. The Westrail bus shelter in the Main St (Midlands Rd) attractively displays local scenes of wildflowers, gum trees & windmills. Painted by our own local Painting Group. This collection of well known artists exhibit their paintings at the Mingenew EXPO each year. An excellent display of their paintings can be found in the foyer of the Mingenew Shire Offices during normal office hours.
5. The wall on the west side of the Tennis Club on Bride Street. A fun picture of emus (which used to be plentiful in the area). Some very odd sights are seen playing on the courts during the summer months anyway. It is a painting for the community to enjoy, and guess the names of each emu. So the story goes - A long, long time ago, in a place named Minganu - ant's nest or Mininoo- place of many waters, lived a band of Emu's. They loved nothing better than to hit tightly rolled up grass to each other with mallee sticks. Over the years their ghostly forms have been seen on the lush green courts where the Tennis Club now stands. In honour of these pioneers, we have brought them to life, to stand guard forever and oversee the goings on, by that merry band of tennis addicts.